Thursday, July 5, 2012

What is a Humble Artist?

Most artists that I know are humble. They don't go around boasting of their magnificence and expecting the sea of crowds to part for them – an image that comes to mind is a stubborn, entrenched, loudly honking goose. I'm sure there are artists like that out there, and I've met one or two, but the majority of artists are humble.

When I read verse 2 of the Eight Verses of Mind Training I have a hard time with the wording. But what I think it is suggesting is that we see ourselves with humbleness, be gracious, and have respect for others. To be humble is not to be humiliated or degraded; it is to let go of an exaggerated and prideful opinion of oneself. I have also heard that being humble is to be teachable. I like that.

Here is verse 2 (Rigpa translation), you'll get its essence:

Whenever I'm in the company of others,

I will regard myself as the lowest among all,

And from the depths of my heart

Cherish others as supreme.

This can be confusing to me if I try to view if from my commercial/want to get ahead/competitive art field mentality. I mean, aren't I supposed to be über confident in my self and artwork, promoting both at every opportunity? Isn't that the path to becoming a known and successful artist? How am I to make it in the world if I follow the principles of verse 2? Verse 2 would imply that I recognize that I am one of billions of people on this planet; that I want to be happy just like everyone else; that the best way to be happy is to generate happiness; to listen with my whole being, to act with kindness, and to cherish every living creature because we are all interconnected with each other.

So, how can and do the principles of verse 2 effect my approach as an artist? It makes me think beyond myself and to be more human. Maybe I could be more open to learning from other artists. Or listen with an open mind to a critique of my work. Or rejoicing in the success of other artists. How would you apply this verse to your art and art world interaction?

Yesterday I read a beautiful article in Shambhala (July 2012) magazine by Thanissaro Bhikkhu entitle "I want to be . . . Loving." He suggests that to be skillfully loving is to have a simple attitude of goodwill by wishing others happiness. How as artists can we create more respect and goodwill?

An artist whose illustrations I love is Maryjo Koch. She is a bug and plant lover extraordinaire. In her book Dragonfly Beetle Butterfly Bee she makes the insect world delightful. I learned how necessary insects are and how interdependent we are to the work they do. I think her work is a lovely example of humbleness and respect.

The illustration that I created for Verse 2 is of a small ant. The symbolic reference is simply that ants are low to the ground and small in size (compared to humans that is) suggesting humbleness. It is with that view that I practice (and it does take practice) the root version of verse 2 by Geshe Langri Thangpa:

In particular, view yourself as lowly and cultivate respect for others.

Wishing you happiness and well being,

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment