Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Art and Generosity

Buddhism has a rich art history from many cultures. In our western world Buddhism is touching the arts deeply both in visual form and in philosophy. My teacher, Sogyal Rinpoche, has said that our world needs Bodhisattva artists. I am exploring what it means to be a Bodhisattva artist. A Bodhisattva is like a Saint in that they are enlightened and act to bring others to enlightenment. I am no where near enlightenment, but I am in training. Part of training my mind includes cultivating skills that bring happiness. In this series of six articles I will examine the arts in relationship to six skills of cultivating happiness which are generosity, discipline, patience, diligence, concentration, and wisdom.

Before I begin, it is important to set the intention that whatever we do be for the benefit of others – for the good of all of us. Rinpoche has often given the example that "many > one." May these writings be of help to you.

In the Buddhist teachings on generosity, there are three parts: First is material giving, second is giving of the dharma, and third is giving protection from fear. It is easy to see how art relates to material giving. For example, there is art that is donated by artists for charity events and there are philanthropic gifts by people who support the arts. I support the arts in my community and beyond by attending art fundraisers, giving monetarily to the arts, and by donating pieces of my work when I can.

Why are the arts so important to our wellbeing? Because through art we connect with and express what it is to be fundamentally human. We interconnect by sharing our experiences, strengths, and hopes for ourselves, our families, friends, and the world. Art via the right hemisphere of the brain is also the ultimate arena for creative problem solving and thinking outside of the box. How are we going to creatively find new solutions to the problems our world faces if we don't support the arts? Visual and performing arts access that part of ourselves that is boundless and sees beyond limiting constructs.

With that in mind, how can art address the second part of generosity - giving the dharma? In a sense, supporting the arts is practicing the dharmic behavior of generously giving what will maintain balance in the world. In all of my classes I teach how the practice of art is an act of mindfulness. In the act of sitting, looking, and being with our artwork we are slowing down, becoming more present, and opening our minds and hearts to truly see. We see what is as we are balanced in the present. Our intention is to connect with inner happiness and peace.

When art really resonates with us inside it creates an opening both in and out. This opening can be equalizing, hopeful, relieving, inspiring, and a place of refuge. When art allows ones' spirit to unfold and offers a refuge from suffering it is plausible to say that art has acted generously in giving protection from fear; which addresses the third part of practicing generosity.

It is this aspect of generosity that I connect with most artistically. I have found great relief and freedom in the process of drawing and painting. Many times when I have been anxious and afraid I have found the process of creating opens a space in, derails my distressed thought pattern. Much like meditation or mantra, art focuses my awareness. The images that I choose are often nature for its healing beauty or symbolism for its profound meaningfulness - because they inspire me.

The little drawing that is attached here "Generosity" is a combination of images that express giving the dharma. The lotus is typical for representing purity and compassion and dharma; it is resting in open hands for those who wish it.

With generosity comes gratitude. I am truly grateful for my art teachers and my spiritual teachers. It is because of their generosity that I have the skills to craft my life. Thank you.

Two suggested readings:

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche

The Words of My Perfect Teacher by Patrul Rinpoche

2 comments:

  1. Susan, the link between art and spirituality is an important one to explore. I remember still being at the 1992 retreat in Lerab Ling when we first started exploring this as an international sangha. Thanks for articulating your thoughts. --Janet Riehl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, could you add a "followers" link so we can follow your blog and then when you update it it will be in our reader or we will get an email? I think if you go into layout there will be a gadget button for followers. Beautiful work here my dear. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete